Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Yesterday I promised that I would stick with digital effects in live-action film. I was trying to come up with a film that I wanted to research and one that I recently purchased was The Chronicles of Narnia (2005). What my quick search found was that the spectacular effects in the film were created my Industrial Light and Magic. Small world, eh? Since I have already rambled on about ILM, it seems more appropriate to discuss The Matrix (1999). Written and directed by the Wachowski brothers, and paid for by Warner Bros., this film ended up winning four oscars. According to filmsite.org, the first film of the trilogy won an Oscar for visual-effects over powering Star Wars: Episode I (1999) and Stuart Little (1999). This film was a milestone in CGI "...with airborne kung fu, slow-motion bullet-dodging (the "flow-mo" and "bullet-time" effects) and shoot-outs, wall-scaling and other amazing visual effects." It is more specifically about the third Matrix film, but it is an interesting read. The amazing effects created for the trilogy were created mostly in studio while working on the film. According to the Visual Effects Supervisor John Gaeta, the three most difficult scenes to work on were: "The history program, where the endless fields of babies are grown is the first. The second is the helicopter crash and the third would be the bullet time shots." To read more on his take, click here. Unfortunately I am having a rather difficult time finding information on specific programs developed, but when I do I will let anyone who reads this know.

No comments: