Monday, May 15, 2006

First of all, it should be noted that I have decided to apply for a Fall internship with Dreamworks. Whew! I decided I would apply for three since I am not really sure what it is I am qualified for and I am not really sure what I will enjoy. So, the positions I will be applying for are in the areas of: development, production, and show development. Apparently they get so many applications, I will only be contacted if they like my resume and cover letter and want an interview. I have never subjected myself to anything quite like this, so wish me luck!

Now that I have gotten that out of my system, I really liked where my post was going the other day when I was talking about Star Wars and
ILM. It seems like all of the Star Wars films and the special effects used in those movies could be discussed indefinitely. My goal however, is to keep things moving and talk about some other things. I would however, like to stick to effects in live-action film for awhile. I would like to make my transition by using a quote by Scott Billups, author of Digital Moviemaking. He states, "All the technology in the world won't make up for a lack in the basics of cinematic storytelling." And if anyone reading this saw the final installments of the Star Wars films, you will know how true this is. In film today, it is virtually impossible to find a film that has not been tampered with digitally. Of course, the technology available today gives film makers the ability to create amazing scenes without endangering cast and crew, allows filming to be done in more accessible locations, and is more realistic looking then most costumes and/or makeup effects. I will discuss specific examples tomorrow.

No comments: